Sunday 27 December 2009

Some more sounds from the underground

Browsing around for other independent sound creators I came across quite a few. Here are two that really stood out.

Health Club Music
creates cheerful looking synthesizers and sequencers with a little rope attached to them. Below you see the model: Sound Lab Scribbles, where you got the synth on the front and a blackboard at the back (and a little pocket on the side for your chalks).
All their nifty boxes are built to order. Check out their other interesting looking creations.

































Teenage engineering ... to call them the coolest kids on the block would be an understatement.
I was just about to call them nerds but according to this diagram:



















They would be in the geek sector for sure ( by the way I think my discussion with my friend Hanna about it actually being positive to be a nerd or not is described pretty well in this diagram as well. It kind of depends of what kind you are? A Ponken or a Tilliander is a massive diferance, Hanna do you agree? )

Well... this little unit they have crated, the OP-1, just sounds like to be to good to be true. It seems to be a complete workstation running on batteries. Almost fitting in your pocket. You can generate sounds as well as sample them ( even from the built in FM-radio, or the built in microphone ) and then sequence it all. Play it through the built in speakers or hook it up to your mixer. Control it via MIDI or USB. I have no idea how they managed to squeeze all that stuff into such a small box. I had a look on youtube, and there they are presenting it, but not actually showing how it works. (I got a feeling it actually didn't work, not yet anyway)



























While on the subject, I would like to talk a bit more about Teenage Engineering. I happen to know one of the guys a little bit. David, well I cant say we are best buddies, but he was the guy who helped me writing my first Class in actionscript when at Hyper Island. And he turned out to be good friends with my former flatmate Dennis Christensen. So I have met him quite a few times and I have had a chance to ask him a bit more about his job. And it seems like as close to the pure essence of what I want to do as you could possibly get. A factory of inventions and fun, and they make a living out of it. Living of what they believe in and enjoy. It really makes me tick. It makes me want to go out there and do it. Have a look around on their website and on youtube.

No comments:

<