Saturday 5 December 2009

The Scary Lady Syndrome

Did you ever watch the apprentice on TV? If so, did it cross your mind how they act and react, especially when they are in the board room?
Since I arrived in Australia I have come across a certain personality numerous times. A personality I have rarely come across before, and if so It has been in small doses. I think its a cultural thing. Partly geographically and very much industry related. It's a behavior that to me is old fashioned and counterproductive. When someone does their out most to come across as talking the talk walking the walk, rather than being them selves utilizing straight forward communication, being humble enough asking or investigating if there is something they don't know rather than putting on a show. I think this shines through quite easily. It might be easier to spot the more aware you are your self.
It makes me think of the movie Mao's Last Dancer I saw a few months ago. They where telling an old Chinese story about a little frog living in a well. The only part of the outside world the little frog could see was the sky above. If I remember correctly, the frog was told how dangerous the world outside the well was. Til one day a toad came up to the well looking down, seeing the frog. Telling him how big and beautyful the outside world was.
I guess, if you are like that little frog, and someone putts on a show, you might not know, as you don't have anything to compare with.

The jig saw puzzle starts fitting a bit to well. I must admit that I have come across the other part more frequently since I got here, the people who lack awareness. So putting on a show might still work here quite extensivly, even thoug Its bound to be part of the past.

So why do I call it the scary lady syndrome? Well, I think I have come across quite a few women putting on a very dominant show, trying to scare you with their "I know how this works, and you better stick to it" attitude.

There is a bigger picture, worth investigating.

/Phil

No comments:

<