Saturday 6 September 2008

FLAT LAND

A few days of area recognition and flat hunting has passed since I wrote my last post. It was a little depressing the first few days, as none of the flats felt like I would even consider living there, hence the price, they where all in very run down states, with a nasty looking area around them. Bad chilly weather with quite a lot of rain just added to the atmosphere. I was really tired and had a very sore shoulder on Friday afternoon after walking for days carrying my shoulder bag containing map book etc. So I went home to watch the last half of “Boys don’t cry” together with Soraya and just rest for a little while. I don’t think there was a single happy moment in that film, it made me all moody.
It’s not only the Flat hunting causing problems. Work wise as well. I knew when I left I didn’t have anything 100% settled which was a bit of a risk. The plan was to work for Frost, and I will do so, at least on Monday as they need me urgently. The person I need to speak to has been on holiday and will be back on Monday. I will have a meeting with her in the afternoon. I know they are interested in having me for longer, and they are having a hard time finding someone. The two biggest issues are that Frost is having a policy of liability insurance for freelancers working inhouse. This costs about 5000 AUD which is about 30.000 kronor or 2300 pounds. They are going to ignore that for Monday, but for the future, they are either paying it for me or come up with an idea on how to work around this problem. I’m not the least interested in taking this cost. And we also have to agree on a rate, all depending on the length of project etc. I hope this will all be settled on Monday. Ok, so after all these worries, Friday afternoon felt, as I said. Some what moody. This was soon to be changed, We had booked tickets for Grieg’s piano concierto at the Sydney Opera house later that evening. We had an early dinner at a nice Italia place before the show started. We met up with a few of Jakobes colegues and their partners when we finally arrived. The building it self was absolutely stunning. It’s not justified on the photographs, it must be experienced. And the concert it self was wonderful. It was the very first time I ever went to a classical concert, and I must admit I enjoyed ever minute of it. The main act was a Venezuelan piano prodigy accompanied with a big symphonic orchestra. She was amazing. I have never heard anything like it before. When the show was over we all decided to have a few drinks at a bar near by in the harbour. And it turned out that the pianist had decided to go to the same bar so we got the chance to have a chat with her. Jakobs colleagues are really nice people, all of them so far. We didn’t want to leave to late as I had quite a few flat viewings booked in for Saturday.
Saturday was hectic, went out early to view as many flats as I possibly could. Stormy, rainy weather. I was soaking wet and freezing cold after my umbrella was literally blown to pieces. Not a nice day to run around and I didn’t dare have high hopes as the previous flat viewings had been so miserable. I was focusing on a new area. An area called Surrey Hills, and every one I have spoken to have had strong opinions both for and against, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. My verdict is…. I loved it. It was brilliant in my opinion. The area is vibrant with plenty of very nice cafés, restaurants, shops etc. An area where I felt I could be at home. On top of that, several of the flats I visited was not to bad. 4 where I could definitely consider moving in. 3 of the 4 stood out a bit more, and one in particular, I cant get out of my mind. It had almost everything I could whish for. About 5 minute walk into the city centre, Stunning looking flat, with very nice kitchen and bathroom, with washing machine. It also had a balcony.
The drawbacks where, the price and the view from the balcony. Well the view I can live with, price feels a little more concerning.
The other two had very good features as well, one of them had a huge…. Then I mean huge balcony. It was probably as big as the flat it self. It must have been something like 55 square meters or so. You also had full access to a swimming pool and a gym in the building. The drawbacks where 1. No washing machine, had carpets, (and as people where shoes indoors they where not 100% clean. They where going to clean them before the next tenant would move in, but I’m not sure if it will look very nice anyway). And the price, it was not as bad as the other one, but still not cheap.
The third one was a little bit further away from the city. But still not to bad. Nice space and everything you need in there. Balcony, same as the first one, the views where not great. But otherwise it was not bad at all. You also had access to swimming pool. Compared to the other ones the price was very good. Well its not cheap as living in Kalmar but in comparison.
Any how. To grade the feel I got from the actual flats was. Un beatable winner Flat 1, then Flat 3, and last Flat 2. Flat 1 was by far the most expensive one though. I get that typical Swedish gut feeling “what will people think of me if I get a stunning expensive flat like this”. I know I shouldn’t give a damn if some people would be disturbed by it. And I will force my self not to think so. I have done some calculations and well… yes I can afford it for the 6 month binding period without getting into trouble with the Australian Bailiffs no matter how bad work goes. Well… I could lose a lot of money (So I would for all of the flats though, but this one in particular). I would be taking a big risk. But this is the flat I have had the greatest feeling for by far compared to any of the others I have been looking at. I wont save as much money for my adventures though. Damn, I change my mind every minute when it comes to what I want to/should do. Well, tell me if I’m completely mad if Im going to go for Nr. 1 I admit I am very, very tempted. (I need to work at least an average of 8 days a month to cover the rent)
Well, its not all down to me deciding. My application needs to go through and be accepted and might also be compared to other applications in case someone else is interested. So I cant wait around and think to much. Therefore I whish to send in the application first thing by Monday morning.
In the evening we cooked some lasagna, and just stayed at home, we where all a little tired I guess.
Please see some photographs from Fridays experience. They are all taken by Jakob as I didn’t bring my camera there. I have also provided some photos of flat nr 1, they are from the estate agents website, and does not come with the furniture.


Any how, take care till next time. And please advice me what to do regarding flat my flat options.



































































































Jakob in the mirror

1 comment:

Hanna said...

Gå på din magkänsla och det låter som det är nummer 1 du vill ha

<